Friday, December 19, 2008

1 Nephi 15:26-30

Nephi's brothers ask him about a river that Lehi saw in his dream. To remember, this is what Lehi said, in 1 Nephi 8:13, " 13 And as I cast my eyes round about, that perhaps I might discover my family also, I beheld a river of water; and it ran along, and it was near the tree of which I was partaking the fruit."

Nephi actually spent several verses describing the meaning of the river. Nephi first says that the river was filthiness. He also states that Lehi had so many other things on his mind that he did not behold the filthiness of the river that went by the tree. We can see that in verse 13 of chapter 8 that he was very concerned about his family at the time and seeing them in the vision, hopefully next to the tree of life.

Next, Nephi states that the angel tells him that the river represents a hell that is prepared for the wicked. Additionally, it represented the justice of God, separating the wicked from the righteous, and that it was bright which brightness ascended up forever.

It seems that there is a lot here that this river represents. There is much more here, but we will take the next part, next time. : )

No comments: