Monday, March 30, 2009

1 Nephi 17:48

Nephi has finished his talk with his brothers about how he can build the ship and he can do anything with the Lord's help. He has used the stories of Moses freeing the Israelites as evidence that miracles can happen. He also compared the spirituality of his brothers with the Israelites in their bad times. This, of course, angered his brothers and they decided that it was about time to actually grab Nephi, throw him into the sea, and be done with him. But, in this verse, Nephi tells his brothers not to touch him because the power of God was coursing through him and that whoever would touch him, would wither as a dried reed because the power of God would smite them.

I like this connection to Mosiah 13:3:

"3 Touch me not, for God shall smite you if ye lay your hands upon me, for I have not delivered the message which the Lord sent me to deliver; neither have I told you that which ye requested that I should tell; therefore, God will not suffer that I shall be destroyed at this time."

Here is a man named Abinadi and he is testifying to a wicked King named Noah and his priests about their wickedness. It seems that people don't take to kindly to someone telling them that they are doing things wrong when they are.

No comments: