Monday, April 27, 2009

1 Nephi 19:5-6

Nephi is talking about how the Lord had commanded him to make two sets of plates, or records of his life and ministry. What we have come to term as the Large Plates of Nephi are a history of the more particular events of Nephi's life, like the wars and contentions of his people. The Small Plates of Nephi were written at a later time and had the express purpose for recording spiritual matters, like prophesies and ministries. In verse 5, Nephi states that he will talk more about the making of the Small Plates later. He says that he continues with his more spiritual account to record more sacred things that they may be kept for the knowledge of his people.

In verse 6, we read that he does not write anything upon the Small Plates but those things that he considered sacred. Then he talks about making mistakes. He says up front here that there might be errors in the writing. He says that they are errors because his is but a man and all men make mistakes when writing, even as those prophets of old who came before them. The cross-references are interesting to this statement. I must say that if one finds fault with the book, then they have great cause to repent. The first verse is found in Mormon 8:17:

"17 And if there be afaults they be the faults of a man. But behold, we know no fault; nevertheless God knoweth all things; therefore, he that bcondemneth, let him be aware lest he shall be in danger of hell fire."

This verse was written by Moroni, the son of Mormon, who wrote the abridgement of the Plates of Nephi, which is the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ. He states that if you condemn the book and the faults therein, you shall be in danger of hell fire.

Let's look at one more verse. It is found in Ether 12:23-28:

"23 And I said unto him: Lord, the Gentiles will amock at these things, because of our bweakness in writing; for Lord thou hast made us cmighty in word by faith, but thou hast not made us mighty in writing; for thou hast made all this people that they could speak much, because of the Holy Ghost which thou hast given them;
"24 And thou hast made us that we could write but little, because of the aawkwardness of our hands. Behold, thou hast not made us mighty in bwriting like unto the brother of Jared, for thou madest him that the things which he cwrote were mighty even as thou art, unto the overpowering of man to read them.
"25 Thou hast also made our words powerful and great, even that we acannot write them; wherefore, when we write we behold our bweakness, and stumble because of the placing of our words; and I fear lest the Gentiles shall cmock at our words.
"26 And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: aFools bmock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;
"27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.
"28 Behold, I will show unto the Gentiles their weakness, and I will show unto them that afaith, hope and charity bringeth unto me—the fountain of all brighteousness."

Again, Moroni is worried about the people who may mock the weakness in writing of the prophets in the Book of Mormon. The Lord comforts him by saying that fools mock and they shall morn, my grace is sufficient, no one shall take advantage of your weakness. He promises Moroni that even though there may be some weakness found in the writing, no one will take advantage of it. He also told Moroni that fools mock and they shall morn. I think that if one is a fool they mock. I also believe the converse, those who mock are fools. No one should make fun of or mock other's actions. I'm told that I'm too sensitive, but even if people are joking, it has an effect on the person that was made fun of. Sometimes people say they don't mean it, but I'm not sure that takes away the initial awkwardness or hurt caused by the initial comment. Let us try a little more to think before we speak. I will try, too.

No comments: