Wednesday, July 8, 2009

1 Nephi 21:14-16

Today we consider these three verses:

"14 But, behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me—but he will show that he hath not.
"15 For can a awoman forget her sucking child, that she should not have bcompassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may cforget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
"16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the apalms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me."

I really like these verses. Mostly verse 16 because it was one of the first verses that I understood from Isaiah. I remember that it was one of the times that I read it as a youth that it made a connection with me.

It is interesting that Zion says, in verse 14, that the Lord hath forsaken them and hath forgotten them. Zion is the pure in heart, a people that have all things common among them. They are in a temporal and spiritual setting where they depend on God to help them be in that state where they give all for the common good. Well, it seems that they feel (or will feel) this way. However, the Lord responds that He will show them that He has not forgotten them, and it is in a miraculous way.

In verse 15, we are given the analogy of the fact that a woman cannot forget her little child, her little baby that depends on her so much to how the Lord feels about His people. He also states that the people may forget the Lord, but the Lord will never forget them, and this is why:

In verse 16, we can see the reason...the Lord states that He has engraven them upon the palms of His hands. When Christ was resurrected He received a perfect body, but the wounds that were the result of His crucifixion were left as that reminder. When He comes again in all His glory, the Jews who crucified Him will see the marks and know that it was the Savior whom they crucified. Jesus remembers us. Let us always remember Him in order to have His help and assistance in our lives. So we can have our walls continually before Him and, if it be right, He will clear the way for us. If not, He won't. Let's follow Him instead of trying to forge on without Him.

No comments: