Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thoughts on 1st Nephi Analysis

So, if you look at the chart of the number of times each member of the Godhead is mentioned (as a percentage per verse) you will notice that chapters 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 particularly stand out. They have more times when Nephi mentions Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost along with Jesus Christ. If we recall, the events portrayed in those chapters was a special vision that Nephi had where he saw his father's vision of the Tree of Life along with details of the future with the birth of Christ, the fate of his people, the last days, and every important event leading up to the second coming. (See 1 Nephi 6 for Nephi's description of how special these chapters (and all others) are that are in his book.)

So, by noting these special chapters, do we say that the others, like 1 Nephi 1-9, and 15-22 are not as special because they don't mention the members of the Godhead as much? I submit that they are as special. They might have a different focus or purpose, but I believe that when Mormon compiled the gold plates, he selected the accounts that were special for our day. Both authors of Helaman and Ether (which I believe are Mormon and Moroni, respectively) say that they couldn't include a hundredth part of the proceedings of the people, I believe temporally or spiritually. But they include something, all of it being their most precious accounts. Nephi and Jacob also mention this. I believe it is true for the whole book.

So how do we value it? The Nephites had a 1000-year history, and the Jaredites, even longer. The Book of Mormon is most precious. So, as I post more analyses, we need to keep these things in mind. Those are my thoughts for today. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

The Pratts said...

Thanks Shawn - I am glad you are back into the blogging world! I will say there are a lot of blogs that you could follow - a lot about a wide variety of things. You could WASTE all day looking at them... I appreciate yours, I feel very productive when I read what you have to say - not wasteful or idle. Thanks for your thoughts... we need to match up - I wish you were in the same book I was so I could get your thoughts on those! :) As it is - I have to keep my "Scriptural Commentary of The Book of Mormon" (Christmas gift from Jared) right with me when I am reading! :)

sdbroder said...

I appreciate you stopping by! I can totally understand about time spent on reading others' blogs. I think the idea about being moderate in all things applies. (The same goes for Facebook in my opinion.)

That's great that you are also doing a scriptural commentary on the Book of Mormon, too. What a thoughtful and wise Christmas present from Jared. Which book are you on?

Molly said...

I think she is reading someone elses cometary when she reads, is what she might mean. Anyway - glad you don't waste time on this stuff....August 2012 here we come!!