Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Book of Mormon Challenge - 1st Nephi

I had finished the Book of Mormon Challenge a while ago, but haven't posted any results or thoughts about it. I did the challenge using PDF versions of each chapter of the Book of Mormon. I highlighted each time the name of the Savior appeared in the text and reflected on His role in that chapter.

Then I thought that a good extension would be to see how much Heavenly Father is mentioned and the Holy Ghost, the two remaining members of the Godhead. I feel that I must be careful in doing this because of the sacred nature of Their names. I hope that through this analysis, I have still maintained that.

First of all, I want to say that I know that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. In this small way of seeing how He is mentioned and about whom testimonies are given, the Book of Mormon is so powerful. There are only a few chapters where He isn't mentioned, but some chapters mention Him 50-70 times. We will find out how this plays out.

The first book in the Book of Mormon is 1st Nephi. Each chapter has a percentage of verses where each member of the Godhead is mentioned. Notice that Jesus Christ is by far the center figure. This is true in all the chapters of the Book of Mormon.



(Click on image to enlarge. Click on Back button to return to this post.)

Here is the Excel file with all the details of how the above chart was created:

1 Nephi Analysis

1 Nephi highlighted PDFs:

1 Nephi 1
1 Nephi 2
1 Nephi 3
1 Nephi 4
1 Nephi 5
1 Nephi 6
1 Nephi 7
1 Nephi 8
1 Nephi 9
1 Nephi 10
1 Nephi 11
1 Nephi 12
1 Nephi 13
1 Nephi 14
1 Nephi 15
1 Nephi 16
1 Nephi 17
1 Nephi 18
1 Nephi 19
1 Nephi 20
1 Nephi 21
1 Nephi 22

1 comment:

Molly said...

Let the data analysis start. :)