Tuesday, June 9, 2009

1 Nephi 20:12-13

For this entry today, we will think about verses 12 and 13:

"12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob, and Israel my called, for I am he; I am the afirst, and I am also the last.
"13 Mine hand hath also alaid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens. I bcall unto them and they stand up together."

In verse 12, the Lord is calling to the house of Israel. He is inviting them (and us), just as he did in the New Testament, to listen and follow Him. I believe that this is what is meant by the word "hearken." Then in the rest of 12 and in verse 13, He tells them (and us) who He is. He is the first and the last. He is the first, because He was the firstborn of Heavenly Father. There could be several reasons why He is the last. I believe one is that the last goes with the first and shows that He is an eternal god. He is also the last to have a say in our plea to the Father during the judgment day.

In verse 13, we see that He has created the earth and the heavens. He also has control over them, i.e., when He calls, they stand up together.

I believe that He deemed it necessary to state His works to the house of Israel as a way for them to learn and understand that they are under the watch and care of an all-powerful being. Many times in the future, we will see Him referred to as the Lord of Hosts. He truly is a Lord of hosts of angels at His command. May we remember who the Lord is and hearken to Him as He has invited us to do on so many occasions.

No comments: