Monday, June 8, 2009

1 Nephi 20:9-11

For today's entry, we will look at these three verses:

"9 Nevertheless, for my aname’s sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain from thee, that I cut thee not off.
"10 For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of aaffliction.
"11 For mine own sake, yea, for mine own sake will I do this, for I will not suffer my aname to be polluted, and I will bnot give my glory unto another."

In verse 9, I believe that Isaiah is preaching to the people and quoting what the Lord had said to him. He says that for His name's sake will he defer his anger and not cut off the house of Israel from His influence. I looked up the word sake in order to know more about what the Lord might have meant by His name's sake. It said, "for the purpose of; in the interest of; in order to achieve or preserve." Another possible take could be, "out of consideration for or in order to help someone." After thinking more on it, I believe that the Lord is using sake for preservation. In order to preserve His name as one who is good and merciful, he doesn't cut them off. However, God is a god of justice and I don't know how long He will wait until he cuts them off.

In verse 10, we see that the Lord has worked hard with the house of Israel and has done so for a long time. He mentions that He has refined them. He mentions that He has chosen them out of the furnace of affliction. They were saved from bondage during the time of Moses. I think this is what He was referring to. This is what the footnote points to. That was a huge thing that the Lord did for them. I believe that He was merciful to them and answered their prayers to be delivered. But what did they do since? Well, when they were at Sinai, they made a golden calf and worshiped it. They wandered for 40 years until they received their promised land. I'm sure that there were good people among them, too. It seems now, that in the times of Isaiah, the Lord is calling them to repentance again.

In verse 11, we see that the Lord will not suffer His name to be polluted, nor will He give His glory to another. I believe that these things have been and are eternally so. Those who have their agency and choose to pollute the name of the Lord will receive the consequences. Let's apply this to our lives and love the Lord our God with all our heart, might, mind, and strength.

No comments: