Tuesday, August 5, 2008

1 Nephi 1:1

The Book of Mormon begins with the writings of a prophet named Nephi. He lived in Jerusalem about 600 years before Christ was born. The first part of the Book of Mormon was written by Nephi 30 years after it happened (see 2 Nephi 5:30-31). Thus, in the first verse, Nephi is able to speak from a lot of experience and says a few things about the time in general.

He starts by saying that he was born of goodly parents. I've heard many talks about that verse with the speaker saying the same thing. I can say no different. I feel that my parents learned a lot about parenting while they were raising us. They were not perfect, but I feel that they are goodly parents. They loved us and provided all they could for us. They made sure that we were spiritually nourished, too. For the major part of our lives, we read the scriptures as a family every day and prayed every day, too. This is a huge example to follow. I'm doing my best to follow it.

Nephi follows this by saying that he was taught in all the learning of his father. I think that he learned what his father did for a living and followed in those footsteps. I've heard from somewhere that Lehi, Nephi's father, was a trader. This could be one of the ways he has obtained so much "gold, silver, and precious things." (This is, of course, speculation from an old memory. I welcome comments, which fortunately can be done on a blog, from those who know more so we all can be edified.) Well, whatever Lehi did, this passage could mean that Nephi did it, too. Nephi could also mean that he learned about the world and spiritual matters, just as Lehi did.

He next mentions that he has seen many afflictions in the course of his days. This is true for all of us, I believe. I have seen my share, much of which I have kept inside, knowing that they are trials from Heavenly Father that have tested me and will test me (some like Abraham) to see if I will continue to be on His side and follow the commandments. My family and extended family have helped me through those times. I know that I am stronger for it.

Nevertheless, like Nephi, I have been highly favored of the Lord. One big blessing that I'm thinking about right now: schooling. This has some to do with the learning like Nephi mentioned earlier. I have had the opportunity to get an elementary, middle, and high school diploma. I have been able to get a Bachelor's in Mathematics from Arizona State University and a Secondary Mathematics Teaching Certificate not have to pay much out of pocket, perhaps only a few classes. I am about to get a Master's in Math Education from Brigham Young University. I just have to finish the thesis, which I need to get back to. It was paid for by an assistantship from BYU. Finally, I'm here in Georgia on another assistantship. It will pay for tuition and give a stipend, too, like BYU. I'm in the doctorate program at the University of Georgia in Math Education. So, this blessing shows that Heavenly Father is generous and loves us. I know that if you think hard, you will find that you can count your blessings from God and realize that He knows you and loves you, too. This is a good thing to do when you are sad because of life's trials. I find it interesting that Nephi mentions this after he mentioned his afflictions (see also 2 Nephi 4).

He mentions that he has a great knowledge of the mysteries of God. From this account of the small plates, we know some of the mysteries he had learned from God. I think that the majority of his writings in 1 Nephi and 2 Nephi are about those mysteries specifically. Because of time, won't mention them all, but I look forward to going through them here with you. : )

In the last part of this verse, Nephi mentions that he is making a record of the proceedings of his days. This is also what I'm doing here and in my own journal. I enjoy rereading them and others' blogs, too. So, thanks for sharing the proceedings of your days, may they be blessed.

No comments: