Monday, August 11, 2008

1 Nephi 2:1-15

I wanted to start out this blog entry by saying that with the recent entries, I don't want to come off sounding Pharisaical. I've done so in the past and have caused offense. So, the things that I type as applications of the scriptures that I read are essentially goals for myself and thoughts to consider. I know that we could all be better, but it is really a matter between one's self and Heavenly Father. The Spirit prompts us to know what we need to do better. I just think about how I can do better.

With that said, on to 1 Nephi 2. Here, Nephi shares with us that Lehi is blessed by the Lord for his diligence in keeping the commandments. The Lord warns him in a dream that he needs to leave Jerusalem or be killed by the citizens. Nephi introduces to us his family. His mother Sariah and his three older brothers, Laman, Lemuel, and Sam. (I have always thought that the names of Laman and Lemuel are funny. At the risk of being a little irreverent, and I apologize, because of their actions which are discussed later, I thought of them as "Lame-man" and "Le-mule.")

I find that it is interesting that he does not mention any sisters. Either he didn't have any at the time, or he just doesn't mention them for some reason. I know that he later refers to them when he separates his people from the Lamanites in the promised land (2 Nephi 5:6). Did he not mention them for a reason? Is it because they were women? I heard once, I think it was in the MTC, that there are only five women's names mentioned in the Book of Mormon. Sariah being one of those. I'm not sure why more aren't mentioned. Sometimes I think that he was referring to the wives of Sam, Jacob, and Joseph, i.e. his sisters-in-law or daughters of Ismael. But I'm not sure. What do you think?

We know that Laman and Lemuel are opposed to leaving, but in Verse 14, Lehi preaches to them the will of the Lord with such power that their frames did shake before him in so much that they did follow him. I think that this is learning the hard way. It reminded me of the time when the Brother of Jared did not call upon the Lord for four years (Ether 2:14). The Lord chastened him for three hours. It might not have been like Laman and Lemuel's experience, but I don't think that it was pleasant for him at all.

I think that this story is a good reminder of how we can follow the commandments. There is a continuum, I believe, of obedience. Where are we on it? Do we follow all the commandments with vigor? Let's start our description on the end where the people of Jerusalem are at the time of Lehi. They are on the end where the commandments are not obeyed at all. They killed the prophets and were wicked. An interesting description of their wickedness is given by Nephi (2 Nephi 25:2). Then there is how Laman and Lemuel obey the commandments: sometimes and when they do it's grudgingly. This might be a little better than not obeying them at all, but sometimes I don't think the Lord accepts their obedience (see Moroni 7:8). Then there is Sam. He is faithful in following the commandments, perhaps because Nephi testifies to him that they should follow the Lord's will. (I'm sure he gained a personal testimony at some point. See tomorrow's entry.) Then there is Nephi. He is specific about his testimony and desire to know the mysteries of God, which in part are the whys and wherefores of the commandments. I feel that this is the model we should follow, submitting to Him the desires of our heart. (Again, more on this tomorrow.)

No comments: