Tuesday, August 12, 2008

1 Nephi 2:16-EoC

In this section, Nephi records some promises of the Lord concerning his seed and the seed of his brothers in the land of promise. As we will see in the Book of Mormon, the Lord reveals to the prophets revelations about the future. Most in this book seem to be prophesies of destruction unless they repent. Specific accounts of when they will be destroyed are given, again, unless they repent. But the people become wicked and end up being destroyed anyway, exactly and when the Lord said they would. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by this, but I guess I'm saying that even though they could have repented, the Lord knew that they wouldn't. Isn't that amazing? Heavenly Father and Jesus really do know a lot. (I really don't know if all that was comprehensible, but those were my thoughts on Verses 20-24.)

Now I wanted to discuss more about the mysteries of God. Like Nephi, I have a great desire to know of His mysteries. I believe that we know a lot about His mysteries already through current revelation. Here are a some thoughts from Footnote a in Verse 16. From the Topical Guide, 1 Nephi 10:19 stuck out to me. It says that to him that seeketh, the mysteries of God will be revealed by the power of the Holy Ghost. In Mosiah 1:5, King Benjamin talks to his sons about the mysteries of God recorded on the brass plates. I looked up "brass plates" on the Church's website and was reading some very interesting articles about them. They have many parts of the Bible, but much more was written in them in addition to what the Bible contains. The article is called: The Plates of Brass: A Witness of Christ. There are many other interesting scriptures under the Topical Guide entry that I've been referring to (Mysteries of Godliness). I have time for one more. One of the most exciting and promising scriptures that the Book of Mormon has on this subject is Alma 12:9-10. He says that the mysteries of God can be given to anyone, if they are righteous. He also says that they are not to share them, except for special times, under His direction, when He allows a portion of them to be shared. Then, in Verse 10, Alma says that if one does not harden their heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word until he know the mysteries of God in full. This is huge because some of the scriptures in the Topical Guide talk about how infinite and unsearchable God's mysteries are.

Well, good luck Friend in your search. Do not harden your heart, and you can know of the great things of God. Have a great day!

No comments: