Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Moving to Georgia

Hello, everyone! The trip to Georgia went well. It was interesting to see many parts of the United States that I haven't seen before. First, we went from Utah to Colorado and spent the night in Dillon, CO. It was just an hour west of Denver. There were many pine trees and mountains there. After Denver, the terrain changed to flat. Previously, I though that flat meant really flat, but Kansas did have some hills. We spent the next night just outside of Independence, MO. Missouri is when the country gets green and has lots of trees and rivers. This is how Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia are.

My father-in-law listened and conversed. We listened to Truman G. Madsen's insights to the latter-day prophets from Joseph Smith through Heber J. Grant. I have listened to these presentations before, but there were still many things that I learned this time around. They are interesting people. One thing that they all said in common was that Jesus Christ heads this church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). At times they thought of ideas of who should serve as an apostle or what direction the church should go, but the Lord inspires them to do different things and call people they've never met. Then we can see great things come to pass because of it.

We also listened to a couple of novels by Brad Thor. He writes about an agent guy that is fighting Islamic extremists to protect the world. His latest is called The Last Patriot. Here is what Amazon says about it (mostly from the back cover):

"June 632 A.D.: Deep within the Uranah Valley of Mount Arafat in Mecca, the Prophet Mohammed shares with his closest companions a final and startling revelation. Within days, he is assassinated.

September 1789: U.S. Minister to France Thomas Jefferson, who is charged with forging a truce with the violent Muslim pirates of the Barbary Coast, makes a shocking discovery - one that could forever impact the world's relationship with Islam.

Present day: When a car bomb explodes outside a Parisian café, Scot Harvath is thrust back into the life he has tried so desperately to leave behind.

Saving the intended victim of the attack, Harvath becomes party to an amazing and perilous race to uncover a secret so powerful that militant Islam could be defeated once and for all without firing another shot, dropping another bomb, or launching another covert action.

But as desperate as the American government is to have the information brought to light, there are powerful forces aligned against it - men who are just as determined that Mohammed's mysterious final revelation continue to remain hidden forever.

What Jason Bourne was to the Cold War, Scot Harvath is to the War on Terror. Brad Thor has created "the perfect all-American hero for the post September 11 world" (Nelson DeMille) and will keep readers glued to the pages as he once again takes them across the globe on a heart-pounding chase where the stakes are higher than they have ever been before. "

When we stopped for gas and food, my father-in-law and I were always excited to get back in the moving van and head on the road to hear more of the story.

Also on the way over here, I finished my current reading of the Book of Mormon. I am starting over and will use the blog to discuss my thoughts about every chapter of this book. I'm not sure how long it will take, nor do I think I will be able to post every day, but I will try. I do make sure that I read something from its pages everyday though.

Georgia is hot and humid, but not as much as I thought it would be. Perhaps the summer is mild this year. Our ward at church is very nice and I am looking forward to making new friends. I miss Utah a lot, but life must go on and changes are inevitable. It feels a lot like the time I moved from Arizona to Utah. I love and miss those I know in both states. Here's to the next adventure!

No comments: