Tuesday, August 26, 2008

1 Nephi 6:1-EoC

I've always thought that it would be neat for Nephi to give a genealogy from himself back to Joseph. It seems to me, and this is a theme that will come again, that he is saving the most precious spiritual items for these plates (Verse 3). He says that it sufficeth him to have us know that he is a descendant of Joseph (Verse 2). Why would that be? I think that he discusses this at a later time, too.

I think that Verse 4 is powerful. Nephi's intent of all his writings is to persuade men to believe in God, follow Him, and be saved. This is in line with the work and the glory of God (see Moses 1:39).

Verse 5 is also a singular verse. Nephi is not writing things that are pleasing unto the world. Neither the world of his time or ours. Even though parts of the Book of Mormon may seem like it, it is not supposed to be an action, thriller, spy, mystery, or science fiction novel, or whatever pleases the world today. For example, the "war chapters" in Alma have a spiritual purpose.

I've always used this as a gauge for whether or not I'm doing good spiritually. Do I find the Book of Mormon, especially Nephi's words, to be pleasing unto me? Or do I find it a chore to read them?

Nephi finishes with a request for his posterity to not write the things of the world on the plates.

No comments: