Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Studying the Scriptures and Callings

1 Nephi 6 is our first short chapter of the book. A time ago, I was reading the Book of Mormon chapter by chapter. This is a great thing to do. However, I submit to you that it takes a few minutes to immerse yourself into the text and the spirit of study. There may be circumstances that prevent one from reading longer, but I want you to know that I support my stake's goal to study for at least 10 minutes a day, and better yet if you linger there. With this blog, I'm trying to read the scriptures, ponder the passage, and write about my feelings and applications to our day of the scriptures. This is a good way to study. In addition to a chronological reading, one can study the scriptures topic by topic. Perhaps I will do this after I finish the chronological study and journaling.

Sunday I was sustained as the 2nd Counselor to the bishop in my ward at church. This is a big responsibility. First of all, I am grateful to my wife for all the hours that she has put in with caring for our two daughters before this call. Now she will do this with even more hours without me. I pray that she will be blessed with strength and endurance and to know of my love for her. And like Nephi and the recent entry in this blog, I will go and do the thing which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save He shall prepare a way for them to accomplish the thing he hath commanded (with a lot of effort on our part : )

No comments: